From:
karen l smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 14:59:48 -0500

Here is my original question, followed by the replies I received.

Thank you to all of you who replied.

Karen

> Is the University of Maryland still offering free blood screenings?  I
> don't know if any of my family have Celiac, but 3 are definitely
> gluten intolerant, and I'm starting to wonder if I should have the
> blood screening, as I am the only one who still eats some gluten, and
> it causes me some physical problems.

It takes months to get results and they can be unreliable (not with test
but just getting results) I would go to aq good gastro and get it done.

Yes, they are still doing the testing.  You just have to find a meeting
at which they are drawing blood, or go to the U of M.  The CDF will do a
blood draw at their annual meeting in Los Angeles, in Nov.

I had the blood test at the Univ. of Maryland last November.  It took
over 3 months for them to send me the results!  But the conclusion was
that I do

not have CD.  I have wheat/gluten intolerance.  The test is highly
accurate according to my gastroenterologist who is very familiar with CD
and CD testing.  Just go to their Web site to get their phone number.

Get tested before it's too late

Last I checked thry were doing it only for local residents, but that was
6 months ago, check again.

Yes, go to www.celiaccenter.org they post dates and times there.

We are having a blood study (Univ of Maryland) in the Bloominton, IL
area on September 22,2001.

Cindy Cummins, Bloomington, IL
Celiac Resource Unit Co-leader

Hi, Now I have a question for you. What is the difference between celiac
and gluten intolerant? It has been my impression for 20 years that they
are one and the same. If you have any questions about this statement, I
would suggest you contact the University of Maryland and arrange for
testing.  They can probably answer any questions you have about celiac
and/or gluten intolerance.

Hi- We're not currently taking individual contributions because a great
number of large screenings were scheduled for May and June and we're
swamped with samples. When we get caught up we will begin working with
individuals again. Check our website: www.celiaccenter.org.  If you are
in the vicinity of Baltimore you may be able to come in through our
clinic- Mary Thorpe/CFCR

Hi, we went to see Dr. Fasano at the U. of Maryland Celiac Research
Center with my two-year old granddaughter.  Dr. Fasano gave us free
diagnostic blood tests to both her parents and to me (Grandma).  My
granddaughter has celiac disease, but the three of us tested negative.
We did not get a report on the gene test we took, which was a
disappointment.  Apparently, the results are retained for the study, but
are not available to patients.

I'm going to get a biopsy, even if my insurance won't pay for it, because
I have a lot of sympthoms, regardless of the blood test (they're not
always correct, apparently)

God doesn't call the qualified,
 He qualifies the called.
see Romans 5:1-6