From:
Gawen Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 01:18:04 EDT
> Other forms of EPA like flax oil is not recommended.

Why not?

This from Dr. Sears website.   I assume the science is right.  The people I
know did well on fish oil,

But if you are going to supplement with an omega-3 oil, then I recommend fish
oil, which is rich in the best omega-3 fatty acid, eicosapentanoic acid
(EPA). EPA has a tenfold greater impact on reducing the production of bad
eicosanoids than does ALA on a gram-for-gram basis. Another reason I prefer
fish oil over flax seed oil is that the excess consumption of ALA in flax
seed oil tends to reduce the production of gamma linolenic acid (GLA), the
building block of good eicosanoids. What's excess? Anything more than 1
tablespoon per day. The vast body of research data on the clinical benefits
of EPA is overwhelming. Therefore, supplementation with EPA as opposed to ALA
will have a far greater

Flax seed oil contains about 50% of its fatty acids as alpha linolenic acid
(ALA). ALA is an Omega-3 fatty acid. However, it still must be converted to
into longer-chain Omega-3 fatty acids, such as eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA)
and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) to exert its maximal effects on eicosanoid
formation. At high levels, ALA can inhibit the activity of the enzyme that is
necessary to convert ALA into EPA and DHA. It's not that flax seed oil is
bad, only that it doesn't give you the most "cluck for the buck" if you are
going to supplement your diet, as it takes about 10 grams of ALA to give the
same benefits as 1 gram of EPA. Flax seed oil, on the other hand, contains
certain compounds known as lignans that have a mode of action similar to
isoflavones found in soy bean. So if you want to add some flax seeds to a
meal, and then take supplemental fish oil containing EPA and DHA, you will
have a winning combination.