From:
Charles Alban <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 13:05:32 EDT
Don:

This discussion of various diet deficiencies overlooks one major fact. The
reason "primitive" peoples do not suffer from deficiency diseases, or at
least have a very low likelihood of such, is that they eat from a far wider
range of foodstuffs than we do. The native americans that lived in my area
had over 600 different foodstuffs to choose from.

This means that all these abstruse calculations on nutrient intake are moot,
because with a very wide coverage of foodstuffs, be it all kinds of roots,
tubers, leaves, shoots, seeds, berries, nuts, wild game, fish, shellfish, and
the most important one that everyone always leaves out, INSECTS, you will
cover all the bases.

You simply have to eat as wide a range of different foods as possible. This
means you have to be an adventurous eater!  Native peoples get probably half
of their protein and fat intake from insects. Let's have some more discussion
on this; I love challenging people's taboos!.

Charles