C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rayna Lamb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 11:38:13 +0800
This sounds truly terrifying.
My thoughts are with you all.

Rayna

On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 08:27:29AM -0500, Cleveland, Kyle E. wrote:
    On the way into work this morning I heard a news story on National Public
    Radio (NPR) that the U.S. Supreme Court voted 5-4, yesterday, to disallow
    individuals the right to sue states in Federal Court for discrimination
    under the Americans With Diisabilities Act.  T  I don't yet know the
    specifics of the ruling, but in effect the court is saying that if you have
    a complaint against a state government with respect to the ADA, you have no
    redress under Federal Law.  This is in direct opposition to the 11th
    Amendment of the Constitution which guves specific redress for individuals
    disciminated against by states who try to supercede Federal law.

    I'll post more details as I get them.  As a political conservative, I am
    deeply ashamed of this decision.  It makes a mockery of all persons with
    disabilities under the law, and snubs conservative ADA supporters, such as
    former Senator Bob Dole (disabled).

    The only consolation is a 1973 Federal statute that mandates that any
    organization (states included) that receives federal funds cannot
    discriminate against the "handicapped" without risk of losing those funds.

    Bottom line:  It would appear that this court is trying, actively, to pull
    the teeth from the ADA.