VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mike Gravitt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Gravitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 19:11:27 -0500
Peter et al,

Here are my two strong recommendations.  Both are services I have used for
over two years and trust.

BigZoo.com allows 2.9 cents per minute long-distance if you happen to have a
local access number, and 3.9 cents if you use the 800 number.  So, this is
not a direct-dial service where you pick up the phone and dial.  You prepay
either $10, $20 or $50, and money is deducted when you make calls.  The 2.9
cents or 3.9 cents are flat, no taxes, no extras for in-state versus
out-of-state, etc.  The only other charges are I believe a 75 cents or $1
per month usage fee (which they may have dropped now, I do not pay
attention), and if you use a payphone they charge 50 cents per call (but you
can hit ## and make several calls with one dialing of the 800 number and
only get docked that 50 cents one time).  You can sign up at www.bigzoo.com.
Oh, one other neat thing: you can view all the calls you made online, and it
is a very easy site to navigate.

If you do not like the idea of having to dial an access number for each time
you use the phone, I would recommend Opex Long Distance.  They are a lot
cheaper than MCI, Sprint, or AT&T.  They are 4.5 cents per minute for
state-to-state calls, and rates vary for in-state calls, but are all cheaper
than others.  There is no monthly fee, but they charge a $2 per month
minumum, and $2 is hardly anything.  The bill is easy to ready and and I
have had no issues with them at all.  You can sign up by going to
www.opexld.com.

I use screen magnification so I am not sure how these sites work with speech
software.

I hope those suggestions are useful.

Mike