VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kynn Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kynn Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 18:04:57 -0700
At 05:59 PM 8/23/2000 , marvin hunkin wrote:
>hi its marvin here.
>go to http://members.fortunecity.com/mhunkin/marval_man/index.html.
>give me constructive feedback about web accessibility of my site.

Hi, Marvin, the lack of a <noframes> element made it hard for
me to navigate the site effectly with frames turned off.  You
might want to include that on your front page, along with
labels for each frame set by using the TITLE attribute.

The page is pretty clear about what it contains; however, the
repeated use of "a section about" (and lack of links) made it
harder to scan the information in the right-hand panel.  A
page such as this could benefit from a few well-placed
graphics to aid comprehension by people who can see but whose
reading and comprehension abilities may not be up to snuff.

The use of all lowercase does also make it harder to read;
for light-dependent users, the shape of characters is important
to comprehending text, and proper use of mixed upper/lower case
improves readability.  (Mixed case reads the fastest, then
all lower case, then all upper case.)

I get 404s on your 80s page links -- a "child of the 80s"
myself I was curious to see what you have there.  I was surprised
that the links opened in the left hand navigation panel instead
of in the right hand content panel.  All of those links in the
left panel probably should open in the right panel -- it gives
more room.

On your disabilities page, you present a list of links, but they
are all just listed one after another, which makes visual
comprehension very difficult -- they look like a string of
underlined lowercase words all flowed together.  You might want
to consider making them a marked up list.  Also, when I click
on those links, they don't open in a "clean" set of frames,
but rather keep me trapped inside your original frameset, which
means I am viewing them through only a very tiny window.

I hope I don't sound too critical -- you did want feedback, and
I -can- be a pretty picky guy.  I was very interested to read
about you and learn that you have 6 fingers and toes per hand/
foot.

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett  <[log in to unmask]>                       http://kynn.com/