Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 12:05:36 -0400
<<Alison, I think it might be because there is more money to be made giving
prescription for prozac or something instead of directing the patient to
the health food store>>

  This is true. Also, remember where physicians today get most of their
continuing education - pharmaceutical companies and sales people.

  One of my mother's doctors who states that one of her specialties is heart
disease management, has never heard of CoQ10.  I tried the other name for
it, ubiquinone.  I struck out there, too.  Ubiquinone compounds are
synthesized in the cells of all living organisms.  A deficiency of CoQ10
first affects the heart and cardiovascular system.  Many people are
deficient in this co-enzyme because it takes a seventeen step process for
biosynthesis.  This process relies on appropriate amounts of certain
vitamins, minerals and trace minerals in order to successfully complete the
steps.  Interestingly, the statin drugs given to people with heart disease
to control their cholesterol blocks the mitochondria from producing CoQ10.
Naturally, the heart is further affected.  CoQ10 also helps protect people
who take medications for so-called psychiatric illnesses, from toxic damage
from these medications.

  Okay, I'm way off-topic here.  Sorry.  This is important stuff.  Anything
further should probably go off-list.

Siobhan