From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 21:24:14 -0600
Susan Skye wrote:

> Also anyone who has info on Celiac's- info, tips, etc. I do know the obvious
> stuff: damage to the villae of the upper small intestine, production of
> antibodies that fight gluten and (dumb little things) also turn on organs,
> especially thyroid. Best I can find out is that it takes 9 -12 months of
> gluten free diet to rid body of antibodies.

I also am celiac; my condition became obvious when I went on a
(very stupid) low-fat diet years ago, eating lots of snackwells and pretzels and
bread.  I find in addition to the standard wheat, rye, oats and barley that
I do not do well on millet, buckwheat or corn.  I just gave up the notion
of eating bread and pasta.  I follow a gluten-free plan faithfully day to day, so
once
in a while if I'm eating out and the soup was thickened with flour I don't
get sick from it.

I've done a lot of reading on it; most people think you have it the rest of
your life and can never regain the ability to digest gluten properly.
The website <http://www.celiac.com> has a lot of interesting material in it.

Us celiacs are custom-made for Paleo eating; can't eat the grains that are
off-limits anyway on Paleo, so it's a no-brainer.

Welcome to the list.  The information content is extremely high, the people
are nice.  Good luck on regaining your health and digestion!

Lynnet