Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 19:19:16 -0400
Jim Cales <[log in to unmask]> posted:
>>Oddly enough salt seems to no longer be of any trouble now that I
restrict the carbohydrate intake.  Go figure!  :-)

My reply:
The logical reason is that your "K Factor" your ratio of  potassium relative
to sodium is probably more favorable.  If you are eating less processed
foods, or not processed foods, and eating more fibrous veggies and fruits,
which are not only a real carb bargain, but also a great source of potassium
and other minerlals.... you would have shifted the ratios.  The more
potassium you eat, the more sodium, within reason, that you can apparently
eat without problem.  This should not be a license to eat tons of salt, but
merely a statement of the importance of the ratio or relative amount of
sodium to potassium.

Todd Moody posted:
>>And as the Eades and others (Phinney, for example) point out,
>>people on ketogenic or near-ketogenic diets are at risk for
electrolyte depletion, again because of the diuretic effect.
They need more salt, potassium, etc.  Electrolyte depletion can
be dangerous.

My reply:
Todd is correct that if one is low carbing, one's water needs will be even
higher than those of a person eating a standard mixed diet, due to the
diuretic effect of a high protein diet.  However, this can easily be
rectified by increasing one's consumption of fibrous vegetables, which will
supply more potassium and other minerals as well as some water.

I do not think, given what I've recently read, that it is necessary or wise
to supplement with sodium in large amounts.  One can increase the other
minerals ingested by way of eating more leafy green and fibrous, colorful
vegetables and that should help with electrolyte balance, but it appears
unwise to increase sodium consumption for a health benefit  (flavor is
something altogether different! :-)).  There are native people's who have
never consumed added salt to their diets, so why would we need to supplement
with that to balance electrolytes?  Veggies are rich in minerals!  (Yes, I
enjoy the taste of some good sea salt in or on my food... but I don't think
it's wise to add large amounts of it as was recommended a long time ago on
this list for ketogenic dieters... It seems that it would be better to just
eat more salads and steamed non-starchy veggies!)

Rachel