Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 11:08:06 -0400

<<The signal to make cholesterol
> comes from the hormone insulin.  When it's high in the blood, the body
makes
> cholesterol.  Insulin rises in response to dietary carbohydrate-starch and
> sugar-not dietary fat or cholesterol.>>

Todd wrote:

<<While this is all true, I am mildly annoyed by the fact that they
fail to mention the effect of certain saturated fats, such as
palmitic acid, on hepatic LDL receptors.  You see, the
*production* of cholesterol is not the only thing that affects
serum levels; the rate at which it is removed from the blood also
matters, and the LDL receptors control this.  It is well
documented that palmitic acid and some other saturates
downregulate these receptors, and this can and does affect serum
LDL levels.>>

  Further, meat that is grain-fed (the majority of meat sold in the U.S.)
will also trigger an insulin response in most people.  These are the very
same grains that we choose to not consume.  When animals are fed what is
natural for them to eat, or are allowed to naturally forage, saturated fats
are much lower (10% and less); hence, palmitic acid is lower, while
monounsaturated fats are higher.

Siobhan