From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 12:19:28 -0700
> >2. As well, what can I use enrich
> >the soil without artificial fertilizer (hmmm... i'm
> afraid
> >of that one ;)
>
> Compost- see any number of composting websites. Or
> steer manure, or chicken
> manure. My farming neighbor (in the city) just
> buries all the kitchen
> garbage and leaves and trimmings, and keeps turning
> the soil. It's as if he
> manufactures dirt; I get extra dirt from him by the
> wheelbarrow load.

I am experimenting this year with mulch (or sheet, or
lasagne) gardening. The idea is to mulch, mulch,
mulch, mulch, mulch, and... mulch. Anything organic
goes. The theory is that it duplicates nature's method
of building soil from the top down. One of the
advantages is that the mulch will eventually compost
(although it may take a little longer than more
"traditional" composting methods). It's also a great
way to keep the weeds down. Since this is my first
year I'm not expecting too much (I should have started
this last fall), but eventually I believe my soil will
improve enough so that fertilizers will be
unneccesary. As well as my rototiller :)