From:
David Karas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 11:09:22 -0700
Philip Thrift wrote:

> I would say that most 'paleodieters' (including me) can eat large
> quantities of cooked meat each day with no problems like this. I take
> the fact that cooking kills bacteria that can make you sick
> seriously -- this no doubt helped out our paleo ancestors as well.

I don't want to kill bacteria. I can't really kill them all (and even the ones
that we do kill repopulate fairly quickly) so it seems to me that I must learn
to live with them so that they do not harm me. Paleo people (and us today) lived
in a "sea" of bacteria and maintained a body balance that allowed them to
co-exsist with the bacteria. Today we refer to this as having a "strong immune
system". I believe that this is what should be sought today rather that
pharmaceuticals and medical methods.

> Also when it comes
> to "paleo correct" one can make the argument that cooked meat
> is more paleo (cwertainly Upper Paleo) than raw, given its role
> in our evolutionary history.

You also have talked about the wonders of microwaving your meat because it gets
rid of the fat. To me (who does eat meat raw) I crave fat. If I don't get enough
fat I remain hungry and will eat much more meat in an attempt to satisfy my
hunger. When I have lots of fat my hunger is satified with less food. I still
eat a lot. Hunger is not just a case of is my stomach full but whether or not
the body's needs have been met.