From:
Dianne Heins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 11:31:36 -0600
At 01:09 PM 4/21/01 -0400, matesz wrote:
>Charles Alban wrote:
>from personal experience. You cannot eat too much fat, because it triggers
>the satiation response, and is thus self limiting.
>
>My reply:
>A person can eat too much fat for his or her calorie needs, which can stall
>fat loss or lead to fat gain.  Even on a paleo diet a person can overshoot
>his or her daily calorie expenditure by eating too much fat.
>
>Charles wrote:
>You can eat a lot of protein (I gobbled up a whole lot of jerky recently,
>which of course has no fat, and I did not feel satiated)...
>
>My reply:
>
>When you ate 4 ounces of jerky in one sitting, you were eating the
>equivalent of 1 to 1 1/4 pounds of meat in one sitting.  It may be easy to
>eat a lot of jerky in one sitting, particularly if you eat it all by itself
>and are famished, because jerky is concentrated and has a much smaller
>volume than steak.  But a low fat content is not what makes it easy to eat;
>it's the density.  (It's similar with dried fruit.  1/2 cup of raisins
>reduces to 1 tablespoon of grapes, so one could conveivably eat more raisins
>than grapes in a sitting, if one is very hungry and trying to fill up on a
>single food.

Except for me, I can only eat a few raisins or other dried fruit before
they taste "too sweet"--which is the limiting factor there, for me.  With
fat, it pretty quickly goes from appealing to "greasy" or, depending on the
fat, feels...  waxy?  Perhaps it's how one defines "satiety"?  If you
("you" in the general sense of the word :) mean stop when you feel full,
that's one set of signals, if you mean stop when the food it no longer
appealing, that's another--at least for me.

As for the second definition, which is the one I was thinking of when I
read Charles' post, I personallyfind that those commercial jerkies I've had
are far easier to over eat than the very plain stuff I've made at home, so
I wonder if perhaps it's the "other stuff" in it that overrides my "mouth
satiety" triggers?  In general, the more cooked a meat is, the more this
seems to be true, if the meat's relatively lean, that is.  If it's fatty,
the fat "stop" still seems to work.  I also think "warm" doesn't stop as
soon as room temperature, come to think of it.

I guess my own experience fits more into the instincto mold, doesn't it?

Interesting...

Dianne