From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 15:58:30 -0400
On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Richard Geller wrote:

> Charles wrote:
> > I am skeptical about this. This seems to lead up the supplement path, and
> > think that is entirely non paleo. Once you start reducing things to pills,
> > you are introducing an unnatural artificiality.
>
> I disagree, Charles. You cannot achieve a true paleo diet today, really,
> because the food is so different than it was and because most of us are
> unwilling to eat brains, eyes, and insects, and lack the diversity of edible
> vegetation that was available, just to name a few reasons.

I agree with Richard here.  Supplementation may be (is)
non-paleo, but so is just about any dietary manipulation that
most of us are likely to achieve.  Add to that the fact that
there are numerous non-dietary factors that may potentiate
dietary issues and you have a justification for judicious
supplementation.

Diane Schwarzbein and others point out, for example, that it's
not just diet that elevates insulin.  Stimulants and stress do
so, too.  Many (most) of us cannot avoid stress patterns that are
quite different from what ancient hominids had to deal with.  As
a result we may have unnaturally high needs for some nutrients,
such as w3 fats.  No one should pretend that they can eat crap
and yet be well-nourished by swallowing pills, but even those of
us who make the attempt to eat fresh paleo foods may sometimes be
getting suboptimal nutrition in various respects.  Inadequate w3
intake is a very likely example.

Todd Moody