From:
Stacie Tolen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 21:54:09 -0500
Trish, those are good links for Sarvangasana (shoulderstand), though a
beginner may not be able to do the pose the same way that the animated gif
illustrates. I couldn't find any illustrations of the modified poses (there
are options using a chair and also using a wall, with blankets under the
shoulders). It's very important when learning the pose to keep the hands
high on the ribcage, not the low back, and keep the body very straight. When
you look up you should not be able to see any part of your leg past your
knees (maybe the toes, but not the shin). The elbows should be tucked in
toward the back of the body as shown, not sticking out to the sides. This
requires some flexibility of the cervical and thoracic spine. Sarvangasana
massages the thyroid and helps bring it to balance. It also is a good remedy
for insomnia (especially when you also bring the feet to the floor behind
your head in Halasana, or plough pose).

If anyone's interested in a more complete description, email me privately
and I'll get back to you. Maybe I can send a picture too.

Precautions: It's not recommended that persons with thyroid imbalances or
other medical conditions do this pose without a doctor's consent, also not
without the guidance of a qualified yoga instructor. Inversions should never
be practiced during menses.

Namaste!
Stacie
who starts her Iyengar yoga teacher training apprenticeship this week!

For inspiration or to learn more about Iyengar yoga see:
http://www.bksiyengar.com/main.htm
That's BKS Iyengar on the home page, at age 81! (don't try this at home!)