From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Apr 2001 13:18:38 -0400
Amadeus wrote:
> Now you do.
> I am allergic to meat.
> Really. :-) Not a joke.
>
> I did a food allergy test with resulted that I'm allergic to hazelnut,
> soy protein and one meat. I don't recall wich one it was maybe sheep.
> I think most people with meat allergy are allergic to beef.

What kind of test was it, Amadeus?

Food allergy tests are notoriously wrong. Food breaks down in the digestive
system, obviously, and so it is very difficult to test using standard skin
tests, for instance, because the digestive intermediary chemistry is not
taken into account. Lots of false positives make these tests often
worthless.

Best test is usually a substitution diet, keeping a careful journal. You
start out with something bland and low allergy, such as rice, and add
different foods over a period of a few weeks, noting the results.

Pork seems to be hard for some folks to digest sometimes. My daughter eats
pork but occasionally it gives her a bellyache. Some people respond poorly
to lamb, although it is much, much more rare, I believe.

Some react poorly to beef. But it is rather rare too.

Some people seem to react from grain fed animals, judging from postings I've
read here and in other places. Perhaps range fed animal meat would not cause
the same reaction. Perhaps this is more the cause of meat "allergies."

--Richard