From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 09:38:03 -0400
On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Amadeus Schmidt wrote:

> I note that Kurillas notes are specially for people on a low carb diet,
> which would be likely to have little glucose reserves. I doubt that a body
> with a good glucose supply would rely on the slower gluconeogenesis pathway
> instead of the normal glycogen activation.

Not really.  He is writing in the context of a Zone diet, in
which enough carbohydrate is eaten so that little or no
gluconeogenesis is needed.

> It might be an idea to test food items high in leucine for increased
> efficiency of persons on low glucose supply.

Yes, I wonder which foods these are.

> Truely that much protein is more difficult to obtain from seeds.
> However most seeds are a very good "native" īsource of glucose, so it is
> likely that the protein turnover would be drastically reduced by the glucose
> alone.

The seeds that we were discussing are not, in fact, a very good
source of glucose.  We were discussing 500g of pumpkin seeds, for
example, which would provide only about 70g of utilizable carbs.

> >According to every physiology text I have looked at, the pH of
> >blood is maintained within a *very* narrow range, no matter what
> >is eaten.
>
> The blood pH is buffered withing the necessary range, surely, but at a cost.
> The buffering substances must come from somewhere.

Exactly, but the point is that the protein does not change the
acidity of the blood.

> This may be bone calcium or other tissues, as the acidose literature
> describes. Or very much vegetables or fruit, which has the opposite PRAL.

That's fine.  This is, or should be, part of the paleo diet.  And
one can eat plenty of buffering vegetables without overconsuming
carbohydrate.

> >I understand that, and like many quests your has a sacrificial
> >aspect.
>
> This was the case for the first months, 15 years ago.
> I did it as a test and because of an immediate payback in health
> and feeling well.
>
> In the meantime it turned out opposite. It would be sacrificial for me to
> start eating meat again. And several times I was happy not to be betrayed by
> the various scandals.

I guess part of the argument here is that it is *still*
sacrificial, even if it no longer seems so to you.  My avoidance
of many organ meats is sacrificial in the same sense.  I am
making it harder to get proper nutrition.  I think you are doing
this as well.

> >.. "Bambi cheese" ..  It still makes sense to me that the
> >same principle of victim selection would apply to human hunters.
> >Therefore, availability of cheese did not have to wait for
> >domestication and pastoralism.
>
> That's the paleo aspect of my source of animal protein.
> It's even the kind of cheese I prefer (fresh white).
> And that humans are mammals.

Here I guess the so-called "farmer cheese" would be the closest
approximation.

Todd Moody