Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 07:45:44 -0400
-Charles Alban said:
Natural yogurt must be great food -- people in Armenia, Georgia, Turkey,
etc., consume a lot of it and live to great age (or was that soviet
propaganda?) I still think it is true, having traveled in those areas.

My reply:
The yogurt consumed by health native populations came from pasture fed
animals, whose milk was richer in vitamins, minerals, and beneficial fatty
acids; it was made from unpasteurized, unhomognized milk, which is healthier
for the consumer.  Modern milk from grain fed, hormone and antibiotic-fed,
confined animals, and yogurt from pasteurized or homogenized milk poses many
health risks.  Btw:  When heating milk to make yogurt, you are not
pasteurizing it, you are merely warming it, or in some cases bringing it to
a boil.   Further, one can make yogurt without heating milk (Don and I did
it years ago when we lived on the west coast and had access to raw milk).

Rachel