Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 21:04:46 -0600
> Also, a different fellow at the same market told me there
are 2 ways of
> farming salmon. In one method they are raised inland in
small pens (sort of
> like enormous fish tanks) and fed a grain based diet much
like farmed beef,
> thus destroying the natural fatty acid balance. Also, they
are doused with
> various antibiotics and other chemicals to control the
spread of disease in
> such a close contained environment. The second method
employs enormous
> nets/pens in the open ocean, where the fish can be
contained and easily
> harvested, but where they are free to feed naturally as
they would if caught
> wild, thus maintaining the natural healthful fatty acid
balance. I asked how
> the consumer is supposed to know which kind of "farmed
fish" she is
> purchasing, and was told, "You ask your fish monger. At
this market, we
> purchase only the open ocean farmed fish." Any information
about this?

I for one will be quite surprised if there is any truth in
this guy!  I think he is a joker.

Lorenzo

A place to read that big pens are fish stoies and how it
really happens.  They are raised on "dog food"!, (corn meal)
like the farmed beef.

http://www.cheftalk.com/HTML/Education/past_articles/salmon.
html