From:
Andy Fernandez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 17:01:33 -0500
It seems to me that as a true paleo purist, one can only enjoy olive oil,
coconut oil, the fat and oil that naturally occurs in nuts/seeds, lean meat
(preferrably free-range) and fish.

With as many restrictions as this diet entails, one of the potentially nice
aspects might be the ability to indulge liberally in fat.  If I wanted to
add to fats listed above, what would you counsel me to include or avoid?
It will be assumed that all products are organic, and that I do not have
any specific allergies or diseases.  All I want is some good fat to give me
energy and fill me up but not upset my stomach.

1) Dairy.  I have posted on this topic previously; I won't rehash in gory
detail, but how do you feel about butter
and cream?  Are cultured products
such as sour cream and yogurt truly beneficial for the digestive system?
Are fresh cheeses a significantly better choice than natural, aged cheeses
or is all cheese bad news?  What is the threat of the foreign proteins?
Are the non-dairy sources of calcium as efficient for our bodies (in the
same way that Vitamin A in betacarotene < Vitamin A in eggs and butter),
and is this actually important?

2) Canola Oil.  Does the rape seed as it currently exists fit the paleo
standard for edibility in the raw?  How much technology is required to make
it useful, and is this truly damaging?  Does the presence of the Omega-3's
justify its inclusion in a healthy diet?

3) Lard and fatty pork.  Technically, this is paleo (at least according to
Ray's book), but how healthy is this?  In addition to the question of pigs
being scavenger animals with poor fatt
y acid profiles (stearic acid, CLA,
palmitic acid, etc.), what about frying bacon and preparing sausage?  Do
these processed meats have damaged fat and cholesterol as a result?  This
question also applies to sausages made from other meats.

4) Scrambled eggs:  How damaging is the oxidation in this process?  How
much safer is it to simply hard-boil or poach them?  How about sunny-side
up?

5) Sesame seed oil, nut butters, and oils such as high-oleic sunflower and
safflower. How potentially harmful are the high PUFAs (O-6) in the diet in
general (even taking into account sesame seed oil's special properties that
make it safe for cooking).  Do nut butters have their fats damaged?  Are
sunflower and safflower oils ever really cold-pressed and paleo?

Also, what kind of MUFA:SFA:PUFA ratio do you guys shoot for?