Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 22:42:03 -0600
>The question I'm trying to answer is this: Are the modern
day HGs, on
>average, more pleased with their lives than, for example,
the average
>American?

>If truly an hg, without much western influence, I would say
that they are.
They live in a world that few of us will ever enjoy.  They
have learned to
accept and enjoy what life has to offer.  There are many,
many books
written by anthropologists who have lived with modern hgs
that attest to
this.
REPLY:
Frances Parkman  set out to learn all about the American
Indian lifestyle,  while there were still some natural
Indians available.   His book "The Oregon Trail"  is a good
place to start.   Then his American History series is
enlightening.   Also read the Diaries of Lewis and Clark.

My experience is that North Europeans are too tense,
Americans are more relaxed and Mexicans are the most
contented even though they may be poor by your standards.
My  Alaskan "Native" friends have a good attitude also.
The B.C. Canadians will tell you that one band of Indians is
fine and the next may be trouble.