Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 22:15:14 -0600
There must be a number of ways to dry Salmon.   The Celilo
Falls Indians (OR) were famous for their open air drying
racks of Salmon  in an arid climate.   Mostly famous for the
millions of flies attracted by the Salmon.   The kind I
liked best was the smoke cure done by Mrs. Butlers Cannery
at Neah Bay WA.    Used to stuff myself with that kind.  It
was more of a barbecue than a smoke process.  Neah Bay is in
the Makah Indian Reservation (Very nice people there.)

When Sushi Bars came to Seattle there were often discussions
on the radio about the little worm.  It eats a hole in the
human stomach,  then dies because it is attuned to Seals.
It is painful for some people not others as I recall but not
a dangerous or long lasting health problem.

When  I cook a salmon steak I peek into the middle  before
it is done so I can get it out of the pan and onto the plate
with a quarter inch uncooked in the middle.   It finishes
cooking on the plate in a minute and is moist and juicy.  If
left in the pan any longer it dries out.

Now that is all I know about fixing Salmon.  Except I buy
the canned at the store and eat skin and bones and all.
Most fresh Salmon is pen raised.  Pink Salmon are called
"Pink Salmon" from  Oregon to Calif.   Red Salmon have a
variety of names.   Kokanee, silvers,  blueback and sockeye
are names I have heard for Red Salmon.

Lorenzo

Subject: Re: [P-F] Salmon

> Isn't there a method of salt drying?  If that method is
used, does it kill
> that paracite?  What about the bacteria from the bugger
(which, as I
> understand it is the real problem with the fluke worm or
whatever it is)?
> How about salmon in things like...  pardon my spelling,
cimche?--the citrus
> juice "cooked" south american dish (is it more than
peruvian?)