From:
Brad Cooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 17:07:31 -0500
On Mon, 2 Apr 2001 10:15:12 -0500, Justin Hasselman
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I was curious as to where I could find info on modern day HGs.  Videos,
>websites, magazines, books, etc would all be helpful.

There is a website called www.indigenouspeople.org, but I am not sure
whether it is what you are looking for.  If you are not familiar with
Daniel Quinn's work, you can try his website at www.ishmael.org.  He has a
recommended reading list of which several books are favorites of
mine...Limited Wants, Unlimited Means ed. John Gowdy, Stone Age Economics
by Marshall Sahlins, and Man's Rise to Civilization as seen in the Indians
of North America by Peter Farb.  Oh yeah, Quinn's books Ishmael, Story of
B, My Ishmael, etc. are good too.  I have found that many anthropology
videos are available through the library here in Houston.  Also, some
movies like "Dances With Wolves" are worth watching.

>The question I'm trying to answer is this: Are the modern day HGs, on
>average, more pleased with their lives than, for example, the average
>American?

If truly an hg, without much western influence, I would say that they are.
They live in a world that few of us will ever enjoy.  They have learned to
accept and enjoy what life has to offer.  There are many, many books
written by anthropologists who have lived with modern hgs that attest to
this.

>Many paleo dieters view the HG lifestyle as enjoyable, maybe even more
>enjoyable than our lives in the 9 to 5 world we live in.  If this is true,
>then I would suspect there have been people who have left their lives to
>join the HGs... or maybe just join a group of HGs for a vacation or brief
>getaway.

This is true.  In Farb's book, he mentions that no native americans ever
voluntarily joined the "white" world but many US soldiers (and citizens)
have voluntarily joined indian tribes.  In fact, many US soldiers were
treated better by the indians than the army and preferred to stay with
their indian captors who treated them like a member of the tribe and even
gave the soldier a wife.  But I think it has more to do with an hg
lifestyle than the army.  I also think that this has also been true in
other parts of the world and throughout history.

I am personally striving to live as much like an hg as possible.  I have a
long way to go, but I have made many positive changes in the last two
years.  I am definitely a much happier person because of it.

Good luck,

Brad