From:
Phosphor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 17:20:53 +0300
  > What crosses the blood-brain barrier are those *residues* of
> partially digested gliadin and casein that manage to enter the
> blood through the gut wall.

well, to be more accurate, its peptides. The theory is that casein
originated peptides from milk creates the original addiction, ensuring the
baby feeds every couple of hours. Hence the trauma of weening. The gluten
peptide is extraordinarily similar to the casein and does the same thing.
The basis for adiction is quite straightforward and has been proven in
scientific studies in mice at least.

It's especially weak when you consider that
> one of the earliest grains known to have been consumed was
> millet, which does not contain gluten.

I dont think anyone suggests all of grain agriculture is due to opioid
addiction.  But why would people bother with the extra effort that wheat
entails compared with millet?

Andrew