Date:
Sat, 13 Jan 2001 18:11:33 -0400
Debbie McDonald asked:
> Can one eat too much of these vegetables? My skin is getting a
> little yellow from eating so much squash. My eyes are white so it
> is not jaundice, it's the palms of my hands that are most showing
> it?  Debbie

This yellow can be a sign of low thyroid function, as thyroid is required to
convert carotene (yellow) to vitamin A (colorless).    When I was a
vegetarian, I always had that yellow look.  Now I eat nearly as much
carotene-rich vegetables, but with lots of protein, and my skin is not
yellow.  My body temperature is also higher than when I was vegetarian
(though still not normal); so I believe that eating lots of animal products
and eliminating agricultural foods has improved my thyroid function .

Don