NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fran Keegan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:53:57 -0400
Hello--

I am gluten intolerant and cannot eat dairy products either. I
looked up malt, as I have always thought it comes from barley and
so I do not eat it. Here are the definitions I found:

malt (môlt)
n.
  1.. Grain, usually barley, that has been allowed to sprout,
used chiefly in brewing and distilling.
  2.. An alcoholic beverage, such as beer or ale, brewed from
malt.
  3.. See malted milk (sense 2).

v., malt·ed, malt·ing, malts.

v.tr.
  1.. To process (grain) into malt.
  2.. To treat or mix with malt or a malt extract.
and

malt·ed milk (môl'tid)
n.
  1.. A soluble powder made of dried milk, malted barley, and
wheat flour.
  2.. A beverage made by mixing milk with this powder and adding
ice cream and flavoring. Also called malt, malted.
Fran

> I would not trust malt, though I don't have a scientific
explanation why.
> Several people on this list have websites, etc. that may be of
help.
> Christy
>
> > Date:    Wed, 4 Aug 2004 22:33:24 -0500
> > From:    Greg <[log in to unmask]>
> > Subject: malt-no milk?
> >
> > I have a question about pretzels and malt. We have our son on
a no milk
> diet.
> > We have seen good results but sometimes things sneak by us.
On a recent