NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
bml/lmel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2001 09:30:34 -0800
Here's what information I have about the Emes Kosher-Jel.  The package is
labeled "Kosher for Passover" and says "parave, contains no meat, no dairy
products".  But, the ingredients do not tell what type of gelatin is used.
Here's the ingredient list:

Sugar, Parave Gelatin, Citric Acid, natural and artificial flavor and color
(this is off a label for grape flavored).

I usually use the plain jel, which has no natural and artificial flavors.
Instead of water I use fruit juice in preparation and it turns out well.

The address is:  Emes Kosher Products, Chicago, ILL 60624

I realize that all kosher isn't vegan, but because it is clearly labeled "no
dairy, no meat" I assumed it was.  Do you think that "hoof and horn" are
exempt from the "meat" label?  I know some on this list are knowledgeable
about the kosher, parave labelings.  Maybe they could help us out here.  I
surely don't want to be using a gelatin product that is animal based (I'm a
vegetarian).

Thanks for your assistance,
LaDonna