NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 09:53:21 -0800
On Fri, 2 Feb 2001 03:46:18 -0800 "Michelle T."
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
>That is the particular reaction that I had to
> the caramel color in Coca-Cola.

The last time I looked at a can of Coca-Cola (the real stuff, other
brands may vary), it was labeled OU.  Since it is Kosher Parve, there is
no way that the caramel coloring or any other ingredient is dairy based.
It will not even have been run on the same line as something that might
have dairy in it.  Looking for Kosher-Parve markings is one way to check
for non-dairy ingredients that may otherwise be suspect.

Now, I see in your other post that you are allergic to cocoa beans.  The
cola bean is in the same family and has similar proteins.  It may the
cola component that causes you problems.

BTW, the 3 sources for caramel coloring are correct, but incomplete.
Other starch and sugar sources (including wheat, cane molasses, corn
dextrose) can be used.
Kathy

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.