C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"greer.bobby" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 09:42:56 -0500
Karen,

    Good for your hubby. I just wished I could have been there and heard him and
watched the look on that woman's face!

        When I was young and first in Memphis, someone asked me to be on a panel
of professionals talking to Girl Scout Den Mother regarding disability issue.
There were
several physicians on the panel including a  well known pediatric neurologist.
During
the Q & A, this one lady asked the neurologist if it was true that all people
with CP were retarded. The physician, who is a real character, turned to me and
said, "I think I will ask Dr. Greer to answer your question." He had a big grin
on his face. I said, "Yes ma'am all CP's are retarded. I am CP and I am
retarded, but I was lucky that I grew up in Texas, and special education is sooo
good in Texas, that the retarded often obtain their Ph.D.!!!" The lady was
decimated and it took the panel about 5 minutes to quit laughing.I was "famous"
with the panel members from then on.

Bobby