BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Hammarberg, Eric" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Think about it: do you really __want__ Face.Recognition.Software?" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 10:02:53 -0500
In my opinion retooling to sound watershedding stone is the first, then
dutchman that can be "hung" on pins with mortar (closely matching the
characteristics of the b-stone) used as pin and patching grouting (not
adhesive). The dutchmans need to be deep enough to be structurally sound and
well bedded in pointing mortar.

Patching compounds are "relatively" temporary. My experience is with Jahn
and Edison. My first b-stone repair job was late 1980's with Edison. The
patches are all still in good condition with maybe a bit of fading but they
have all held well and not damaged the adjacent stone. I live in Greenwich
Village and many houses have been "re-brownstoned" (Landmarks term) by
scarifying the entire facade and then brown stuccoing. Some work okay and
some fail soon after installation. Either way, the houses look like what
they are - brown cement boxes missing the rich patina of age of a natural
material.

As with all this that we do, craftsmanship is the most important and most
difficult to achieve. We specifiers should be able to decide on the correct
material if we spend time but the crafts-person's work in preparation and
application is paramount.

Eric Hammarberg
Associate Director of Preservation
Associate