BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

"In the future, we will get our food by radio." -- Harvey Wiley Corbett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 13:00:28 EDT
Observations: or my two cents
Having lived for 5 years in Scotland; with works in Ireland
and Northern Ireland and Brittany.
I was always taken back by the fierce independence (and clannish) in mind of
these Celtic peoples.
To this day they disdain the "cultural domination " of the home country. And
love to give the English "The blarney or the raspberries" so to speak
On a local level you will be more well liked if you are an American lets say
that if your English. Or if your from Paris in the case of Brittany.

About 10 years erg o there was a great book out by Univ. of Texas press by
Prof McAlester called "Cracker Culture"..it documented how the South up until
the civil war .was dominated by mostly poor highland Scots and Cattle herders
from Ireland.Remember this was before the great irish immigrations to Boston
and to some extent NYC...
..he accurately documented the mindset of the Celtic cattle herding south
through letters and articles of the day  against the Industrial (more English
class  tradition) of the  North.
If you have ever seen the Scottish and Irish "Black Houses and crofts where
10 children were raised then it begins to make sense to see a log cabin on
1'000 acres in Alabama with the same 10children . The South distrusted
Washington as corrupt and on the take  Just like what happened in the
clearances (in the not too distant past) of Scotland and ireland
including the famine where craft people were not worth it to the  landowning
English  .. in short....they were not going to let Washington tell the states
what to do or how they should live...Today I live in a rural part of
Mississippi; I do not discuss Freud or Hegel with my neighbors; but in the
evenings I sit on  gliders on long leafy porches listening to horse and
hunting stories and whats going on in the water melon patch
as young people ride out to long cotton bottoms under full moons to "spark
'and watch stars. They don't talk about the mid east and don't want
Washington in another "Fur-ren  Wa " but like their Scottish and celtic
french counterparts if they are called . they will go....Best Michael