Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 09:28:56 -0400
Siobhan wrote:

<<<< add B1 (over 50% of the population is deficient in this
 vitamin),  >>>>

Charles Alban responded:

<<How do you know this? Surely these RDA's are unreliable figures. Isn't
this
just too easy - "you're defficient in this, so take this pill.......">>

**  I look more for symptoms than whether the RDA's are being met or
exceeded.  Organ meats, salmon, and pork are the paleo-correct ways of
consuming B1.  Many of those who do do not eat these, eat SAD or have been
doing SAD most of their lives have symptoms of B1 deficiencies (in my
experience).  Non-paleo sources of B1 include certain types of beans and
whole grains.  These are not exactly standard fare for the majority of
Americans.

Charles wrote:

<<I find it hard to see how it is possible to be "defficient" in anything if
you eat small amounts of fresh, prefarable organinc food, as I do.>>

**  Then you are assuming that we are each exactly alike and have no
problems assimilating and utilizing any nutrient, or have no conditions
which benefit from an increase in certain nutrients.  Research does not
support this view.  Each day, more is discovered about biochemical
individuality.

There is proof that a deficiency in B12 for six months or longer (many
vegetarian diets) depletes B12 severely and even interferes in assimilating
B12 when one increases this nutrient.

When it comes to this list, I believe that the majority of people are not
eating organic.  I used to assume they were; now, I assume the opposite
until I learn otherwise.  IMO, foods from conventional sources present more
challenges to the body than organic foods, contain less bioavailable
nutrients, and are toxic due to chemicals.  When those bottles of veggie and
fruit washes first hit the market in answer to pesticides, a study was done
by Consumer Reports which basically found that no brand washed away more
than 15% of the pesticides.

Did you see my post from a few weeks ago regarding the declining nutrients
in food noticed by the comparison of USDA nutrient composition handbooks
from the 40's, 60's and current?

Charles wrote:

<<I have boundless energy, and I defy you to find me deficient in any
nutrient. If you
ask me, the real problem with most people is that they eat far too much in
general, and thus feel torpid because of energy comsumed in digestion.
The problem is overnutrition, not under .>>

I think you may be in the minority, Charles.  Genetics, maternal health and
nutrition, the amount of toxins to which one has been exposed all play a
role in the status of our health.  For instance, I come from a long line of
people with autoimmune illnesses.  I've never found food nutrients to be
sufficient.

My belief is that people eat too much while trying to obtain the proper
nutrients in the correct amounts.  Hunger is the body's way of saying, "I'm
not getting what I need."

Siobhan