NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"E.J. Mumaw" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 14:14:12 EST
We have a 504 plan in place for my son at school.  Research the laws and let
the school know you know the laws and things will go easier for you.  The
suggestion of contacting the Food Allergy Network is also a good one.  They
have a School Food allergy program that is great and very informative.

I didn't demand accommodations for my son, I moved to a school district that
was already effectively managing food allergies in school because the
district we were in fought me too much at the pre school level.  They even
ignored a reaction and then denied it even happened.  That was enough for me
and we moved.

My son has a milk free classroom.  No milk products are allowed in for
anyone.  It was also peanut free for 5 years until we were lucky enough for
him to be in the small percentage that actually do out grow the peanut
allergy.  An aide is with him during lunch at a milk free table.  She also
goes on field trips when I am unavailable to attend.  The gym serves as the
cafeteria so the floor is cleaned every day after lunch.  My son's gym
classes are in the morning.  The gym floor gets an extra cleaning in the area
where his class sits before afternoon assemblies.  A full med kit (Epi,
albuterol, Benedryl) is kept with him at all times, even on the playground.
Duplicates of all meds are also kept in the office.  In case of a reaction he
is never left alone.  He is escorted or carried to the office in the event of
a reaction.  The classrooms he is in have a phone with the ability to call
out directly to 911.  Music and art rooms have been cleaned and made
milk/peanut free.  When he was in younger grades this wasn't possible because
there were after school programs in these rooms so art and music came to his
classroom instead.  The school provides alternate awards for Book It.  Can't
think of anything else right now, but I have a lot of contact with the school
and when they are in doubt they call me.  Oh the school has a weekly popcorn
fundraiser.  The machine was thoroughly cleaned before my son started school
there I review the ingredients when new products are purchased to flavor the
popcorn.  The milk free flavoring ingredients are a bit more expensive and
cut into the profits, but its either that or no profits.

Request an IEP in writing.  They cannot refuse a written request.  They have
30 school day, note school days, not calendar days to hold the meeting.  In
that time get a letter from your Dr outlining the allergy and accommodations.
 The Dr does not have to address every issue or circumstance that could come
up, that is not realistic, but should state a milk free environment and
prescribe what meds to use and when.  The best thing the Dr can do is tell
the school to rely on YOUR knowledge when creating this environment.  The
plan needs to be adjustable to allow for things that come up, not just
minimum accommodations.

The biggest thing to remember in this, is that the schools cannot ignore or
over ride prescribed Dr's orders.  Oh they can try, but you have time to
think of quick retorts and practice the innocent voice that gets the point
across before your meeting.

E.J.