From:
William Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 19:04:48 -0700

Timia R Conjurske <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> ....All I can tell you is that Dr. Fine's stool tests are supposed
> to be much more sensitive than any of the serum tests.  Dr.
> Fine claims that the markers for gluten sensitivity will
> show up in a stool test years before they will show up in a blood test.

Timia, the Listowners will invite Dr Fine to join the professional
discussion group (CEL-PRO) and review his test with other physicians who
specialize in CD.  As far as I know .. and I am not a medical professional
... his stool tests have not been accepted by other celiac experts as
appropriate and accurate.  This does not mean they are INappropriate and
it does not mean they are INaccurate, it only means they have not yet been
proven to the satisfaction of others. By definition, all medical
innovations start out unproven .. however not all innovations wind up
being proven useful!

Alessio Fasano from University of Maryland's celiac center has the
following to say about stool testing from a private communication with me,
being posted with his permission:

> The search of CD-related antibodies in stools is not a new topic.  A
> few attempts in the past gave conflicting results.  Until solid
> evidence from the scientific community will be generated, this test
> should be considered experimental.

Bill Elkus