From:
Nancy Kloberdanz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 19:12:37 EST

GIG KID'S CAMP 2001

The Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG) is excited to be attending camp with the
American Diabetes Association again next year!  GIG Kid's Camp 2001 serve
children with CD/DH and those with celiac-diabetes at Camp Sealth, in an
integrated camping program.  Camp Sealth is a CampFire Camp on Vashon Island
in the Puget Sound.  Camp Sealth is fully accredited with the American
Camping Association, offering camping experiences to many children with
health and physical challenges.  Nurses, Dietitians, and doctors attend camp
during the sessions we are there.

GIG's Dietitian oversees all meal preparation at camp for children with
gluten intolerance.  We carefully monitor the children's diet and provide
support and education about Celiac Disease and Dermatitis Herpetiformis.
Plus, the children get a wonderful, normal camping experience.  Campfires
with s'mores, picnic lunches, overnight camp outs, and great enviable meals
are all part of GIG Kid's Camp. Twinkies are such an important part of the
boat trip to camp, so we have gluten free 'Twinkies' waiting when our
children reach the dock!

Like last year's camp, GIG Kid's Camp 2001 will have two sessions. Session 3
will be July 5th - 11th and Session 4 July 12th - 15th.  You can choose one
or both.  Children in grades 2-12 are accepted. Last year the teenagers had
as much fun as the younger children did! Our teens often become mentors and
role models for younger kids.

It's really not to early to be thinking about summer camp!  GIG Kid's Camp
Committee is gearing up for registration already.  Registration for camp
opens Jan. 29, 2001. Our slots fill fast!  If you attended camp last year,
look for the registration information in your mail soon. Call the GIG office
to have a camp brochure sent to you.

GIG offers some scholarships for children to attend camp. Last year we
provided children with nearly $8,000 in scholarships. If you would like to
sponsor a child or donate to the camp program, please send it to GIG marked
"Camp Scholarships Programs."

See you at camp!

Judy LeBard and Ruth Ross
Camp Co-chairs

Contact Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG) in Seattle, WA for information.

Gluten Intolerance Group
15110 10th Ave SW, Suite A
Seattle, WA 98166-1820

Telephone:  206-246-6652
Fax:        206-246-6531
Website:    www.gluten.net
Email:      [log in to unmask]    or    [log in to unmask]

Executive Director: Cynthia Kupper, C.R.D.(Certified Registered Dietitian)
(and she has Celiac Disease) is very willing to work with anyone that calls.
Cynthia also has credentials as a former C.D.E. (Certified Diabetes Educator).

Nancy
Seattle, WA
USA