EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kerri Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 15:33:38 -0500
At 12:52 PM 11/28/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>Public universities though are required to provide programmatic access
>under 508 to educational and administrative resources.

How so? That's alarming. Access-board.gov says, "Section 508 requires that
when Federal agencies develop, procure, maintain, or use electronic and
information technology, they shall ensure that the electronic and
information technology allows Federal employees with disabilities to have
access to and use of information and data that is comparable to the access
to and use of information and data by Federal employees who are not
individuals with disabilities, unless an undue burden would be imposed on
the agency."

So unless a public university is considered a Federal agency (and they're
not, as far as I know), how does this apply?

>The potential standards a court of law would use to determine
>if the web resources were accessible would be either the W3C Web Content
>Accessibility Guidelines [1] or the Section 508 rules[2].

But the WAI and 508 guidelines haven't been accepted as standards of the
ADA. (At least not yet.)

ASHA says that classrooms should have particular acoustics (S/N ratio and
reverb), but those aren't legal requirements, either. Would be nice. 508
everywhere would be nice too. :-)