From:
Linda Mccarty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 20:37:37 -0500

Thanks, again, for everyone's help.  Here's the replies I received.
Hopefully this will be the last post.

Talk to the owner and tell them what you can eat.  That is, anything without
noodles or soy sauce.  Any dark sauce has soy in it.  Also make sure they
thicken with corn starch.  We live in a very small town.  The only ethnic
restraunt is Asian.  I have talked to the owner and am very satisfied with
their food.  I bring along my own soy (amino acid) and haven't had problems
in the 3 years we've been going there.

* * * * * * * * * *

I eat Chinese about 2-3 times per week, because it is the only thing I can
be sure that I won't have a reaction to.  I always order Gai Kow with white
rice and no MSG.  I am sure there are others, but I always stick to this and
have no problem. I can't eat the Egg Roll though.

* * * * * * * * * *

In northern Illinois area I have found that my CD daughter can eat at most
Chinese restaurants as long as I say no MSG for our meal and request any
sauces on the side.  I also ask that any of the meats that are normally
dipped in batter just be cooked and not fried.  Also I have been known to
ask if their soy sauce is GF.  If they do not understand the concept then we
skip the fried rice and just get the white rice.

* * * * * * * * * *

my local Chinese carryout does steamed dishes in a dedicated steamer. no
sauces are ever put in it. my daughter likes plain white steamed rice with
chicken, shrimp, and now and then, would you believe, a veggie or two. she
adds her own gf soy at the table, or sometimes i mix her up a little sweet &
sour to add.

* * * * * * * * * *

Many Chinese food restaurants have a dish called Chow Fun.  This is
similar to Chow Mein but is made with rice noodles instead of the wheat
noodles.  Even if they do not have it on the menu, they often keep rice
noodles in the back for the family/cooks.  Most Chinese restaurants use
corn starch as thickener in their vegetable dishes.  Chop Suey, Beef and
Broccoli, Chow Har Ya and more are usually safe.  Obvious things to stay
away from are won ton, egg rolls, chow mein, sweet and sour breaded
products, fish balls, chicken balls and so on.

* * * * * * * * * *

A nice alternative to Chinese food is Viet Namese.  Lovely, simple dishes
that usually consist of a few ingredients--whereas most Chinese dishes are a
complex array of things.  I have had tremendous luck with "pho", a simple
soup.  Most are made with rice noodles (ask first, to make sure), tons of
vegetables, either seafood or another kind of meat, and no seasoning (you
add your own at the table).  The best part is: most pho costs about 5 or
6.00 a bowl.  Incredibly filling, delicious, and usually GF.  Another
wonderful dish at Viet Namese restaurants:  Fresh spring rolls.  These are
made with rice paper wrappers, filled with fresh lettuce, basil, shrimp or
chicken, rice noodles, and spring onion.  Yum.  My husband and I go out for
a "pho" a few times a month.  2 soups, 2 orders of spring rolls, and a fresh
fruit frappe costs about 18.00.

* * * * * * * * * *

I know you have gotten so many responses to the Chinese eating out but
nobody mentioned the rice!  One said it is gluten free but you have to be
careful because if the rice is "enriched"   they usually soak it in barley
water to enrich the rice.  If the package says enriched it is NOT gluten
free!  Just to let people know.

* * * * * * * * * *

There are some Chinese foods that are gluten free and don't have soy
sauce.  Availability depends upon your location.  One of my favorite
dishes is Honey Walnut Shrimp (Shrimp with candied walnuts covered in
mayo (they almost always use Helman's (which is GF) but I would ask.)
It is served with steamed white rice and lettuce.  You could also order
chung fun - without the sauce.  It is a soft rice noodle with meat
inside.  (This is not always available - but will be if they serve dim
sum and/or there is a large Chinese community.)  You could have almost
everything else but without the sauce.... most everything has soy sauce in it.

Thanks!

Linda