From:
Phlip Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 20:58:40 -0500

I've finally received a response from the local restaurant: two coupons
for free meals with a handwritten notation to "Please give us another
try."  :-)  The most interesting response was a telephone call from a
waitress at the restaurant who read the info I sent and felt she might
have celiac disease. She appreciated the articles and my talking with
her.  Corporate headquarters just sent me a letter stating that I should
have been contacted by now by a representative from the Company to
discuss my visit.  Well, free meal offers and a call from the waitress
might count as a contact.

The majority of replies received from the list indicated that it is
often a state or local health law that no food be brought in. That was
not the reason given to me and I did explain that my request was for
health reasons.

Other replies included:

1. Warnings about the danger of contact with gluten crumbs

2. Suggestions that you toast the bread at home before carrying it in

3. One query about the safety of bacon (Usually OK for me)

4. Request for a local support group (closest is Tampa, 50 mi. away)

5. General consensus that "Pancake Houses" are not a good choice

6. Approval of spreading the word to restaurant management

7. One poster takes an "Alpine Food" pack (travel food for camping) and
if she isn't served, pulls the string and waits while it cooks as her
companions are served.

Thanks to all for your kind replies. I try to be careful when eating out
and I guess I should not have been surprised at the reaction to my
bread.  This list is great and I have learned so much.

Marion
Sarasota, FL