From:
Patricia Vigneau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 21:53:42 -0500

No disrepect intended, but I felt a real need to reply to Gayle
Kennedy's posting re: Time to act?  Although there are those who seem to
have made a connection between CD and ADHD etc, I'm sure there are
plenty of "other" connections that we did NOT hear about from those same
people, such as whether mental illness, depression or a myriad of many
other problems/illnesses may run in those families to name just a few.
Maybe I'm just feeling a little defensive here, but I get the feeling
from this posting that CD/wheat intolerance is being viewed as the root
of all evils. I also feel that "getting the message out" (especially in
this light) is NOT what the celiac community is looking for as far as
publicity goes.  There is a BIG difference between reacting to CD with a
case of the "runs" versus reacting with "guns!" My main point is that I,
for one, do NOT want the world to view the celiac community as a bunch
of nuts, who when off their diets go around shooting people.  We need
all of the POSITIVE publicity we can get, and I don't think this is the
route celiacs want to take to get publicity for CD.  I feel that too
many people with celiac disease blame EVERY single ailment they run
across as a "connection" to cd.   As another poster replied to this
subject,  "Not everything is gluten related, let's keep an open mind and
explore all avenues."  Your comments/opinions are welcomed.

Respectfully,
Pat V
Cinnaminson, NJ