From:
Linda Mccarty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 08:49:46 -0500

Thank you to everyone who responded.  I really appreciate it.  Here's the

Try these sites:

Amylase test
http://www.healthcentral.com/peds/top/003464.cfm

(don't pay for a long dissertation. . .just read the summary here)
http://search.knowledgestor.com/info/com_apnet_jcrs_jcrs_1997_0119.html

Most informative and places to write to and get more information at the
bottom: http://www.oxy.edu/departments/tops/Amylase/amylasehome.htm

* * * * * * * * * * *

When I was first diagnosed with celiac disease someone (can't remember
the source) explained to me that when the celia atrophy, amylase is
decreased.  The tips of the celia produce a hormone that signals the
pancreas to produce amylase.  That is one of the reasons that
undiagnosed celiacs have trouble digesting fat.

* * * * * * * * * * *

Well, amylase is a digestive enzyme secreted by the pancreas. I  believe it
is important in the digestion of starches in the small intestine.  A lack
of it - poor digestion and absorption of energy and nutrients in
carbohydrates.  Could have diarrhea, could appear as a malabsorption.  Or -
it may be indicative of something else going on.  Or, it could be in
addition to something else going on. The whole picture needs to be looked
at.  I hope you can get some answers to help.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

That would be an inability to digest starch- starch is the storage
carbohydrate in potatoes, corn, just about everything.  I don't know
what the symptoms of that would be except that she would not derive
caloric value from starch.  It would pass through like fiber, except
that perhaps bugs in the GI tract would use it and create gas.  We can't
digest insulin, the storage carbohydrate of jerusalem artichokes, and it
has no adverse effects (in fact is a good food for dieters and
diabetics!)  but there are few microbes that can utilize it either.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

I suspect the next test you are talking about is the hydrogen breath
test, which I have been told is so pathetically inaccurate that it is
not worth putting anyone through the fast for.  It is supposed to test
for bacterial overgrowth but our current drs feel that bacterial
overgrowth is a diagnosis of exclusion, that we will treat for that once
we have ruled out any other likely possibilities.  Has your daughter had
a "sweat test" for cystic fibrosis?  They put something on the forearm
and then wrap it in a diaper for an hour then remove it and weigh the
amount of sweat on it or something - anyway, my son's was negative.

Thanks!

Linda