EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lilly Walters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 15:55:06 -0800
Survey Results - One Hand Keyboarding, and Adaptive Technology

taken by Lilly Walters, http://www.aboutonehandtyping.com

On at least one occasion, in a many cases two to five occasions, we
asked the question of many listservs (list is at the end of the
article), "Who is actually using one hand keyboards and alternative
keyboard layouts in the workplace?" (and alternative, but similar
questions)

Compiling the total members of each list, I therefore asked a total
of approximately 9000.
      Less, considering many people do not open each message that
comes through (which is why I asked more than once).
      More, considering many on the members of the lists took the
question very seriously and called others outside of the list to try
and find me examples. All of those asked were people working with
adaptive technologies, or are themselves disabled.

NOTE:  Five schools contacted me to let me know they teach the
appropriate students with a one hand keyboard. Of these, none could
think of even a single one-handed student who had gone on to actually
use the alternative equipment or alternative layouts in the
workplace. This can be partially attributed to fact it is not part of
the responsibility of people in vocational schools to follow the
progress of their students into the workplace.

Also, several users contacted me who have severe disabilities in both
hands - the results from these were not included below. Nor were the
people who retired, rather than try to use their one handed skills in
the workplace.

For the sake of clarity, we will call anyone with a disability in one
hand - severe enough to force them to type with only one hand - a one
handed person.

RESULTS:
SUMMARY:  I overwhelmingly found that if the person has good use of
one hand, they are not using an alternative keyboard,  an alternative
keyboard layout (although many use macros and voice recognition), nor
even a speed touch typing method on the standard keyboard.
       The first choice is to "hunt and peck," or sadly, to retire
from the workplace, even after being trained on adaptive keyboards
and alternative layouts.
       Much farther down the list is the second most used system,
this for those who wished to be a speed touch typist: one hand qwerty
(the good hand centering on the four center keys).
       The vast majority of one hand users had never been told they
could become speed touch typist using the standard keyboard. If
anything was suggested, it was an alternative to the standard
keyboard, which the user discarded.

Of the 9000 asked, those one handed people who currently use a  **one
handed keyboarders**in the workplace - and who replied to my query -
are:
--
   Bat One hand keyboard:   two
--

CONCLUSIONS FOR THE ONE HANDED TYPIST:  Although one hand keyboards
are popular with assitive technology schools, the skills learned are

I feel, that on the most basic level this is because a one handed
person can use the "able hand" to "hunt and peck" on the standard
(QWERTY) keyboard with just as much speed as the two handed person.
Many people in the workplace hunt and peck, instead of using a touch
typing system. The one handed person steps into the workplace,
already feeling a bit "different." They see their brethren in the
office hunting and pecking, and instead of pulling out a keyboard
that sets them apart even more,  they do what the rest are doing. A
one handed "hunt and pecker" has just about the same speed and
ability as a "two hander. " So, why use the one hand keyboard when
they can use the same tool as everyone else, and create for
themselves a greater feeling of belonging.

Also, I have a suspicion, that many in the one handed, or partial
hand amputee category just do not seek professional help. It is
easier for them to find solutions on their own - hence the hunt and
pecking.

Bill Baughn, moderator of two listservs for arm amputees, pointed out
that at the famous One Arm Dove Hunt, eight out of ten amputees
attending do not use prostheses.  I think they leave their prostheses
in the same closet that keeps their one handed keyboards. Because, at
the end of the day it is just more comfortable to make our way in the
world with only our natural abilities, and the tools at hand -  yes,
slight pun intended  :)

If the one handed person is not going to adapt their work skills to
one handed equipment, then perhaps we should adapt WHAT we are
teaching  the one handed person.  We should help them excel on the
equipment they seem most comfortable using.  So, although we know the
standard QWERTY keyboard is not the easiest, nor the fastest system
of entering data, it is method they seem to end up using.  Would not
their time in training be better spent is learning ways to speed
around the QWERTY keyboard*, ie, one hand QWERTY, macros, and voice
recognition?

I believe that until the two handed community embraces alternative
keyboards, neither will the one handed user.

*For charts, and how to information on one hand QWERTY
http://www.aboutonehandtyping.com/introduction.html
There are two manuals available at Amazon.com

THOSE QUESTIONED IN OUR SURVEY, approximately 9000

ABLETech:       182 subscribers, Oklahoma statewide project, to
increase access to assistive technology for people of all ages and
all disabilities

Adult Amputees N friends (Yahoo  club):         574 subscribers

AMP-L:  200 subscribers -  All types of amputees, friends and supporters

Amputee Safe Haven (Yahoo  club):    157        subscribers

AMPUTEE:                280 subscribers -  amputees, prosthetists and
family member

ARM-AMP:        135 subscribers - Arm amputees, friends and supporters

Armless Hangout (Yahoo  club):          70 subscribers

CANADAPT-L:   List owner unwilling to submit information:   Canadian
Content with respect to Access and Adaptive Technology

DSSHE-L:        1281subscribers -   Disabled Student Services in
Higher Education

EASI:   578 subscribers -  Equal Access to Software & Information

EDTECH: 5796 subscribers -  determining the future directions of the
uses of technology in education for many universities and school
districts.

Living as an Arm Amputee (Yahoo  club)  115 subscribers

SOREHAND:       933 subscribers, Discussion of Carpal Tunnel
Syndrome, Tendonitis etc..

--
- Lilly Walters,
For our free monthly e-newsletter on