From:
Ellen Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 17:06:55 -0500

I recently received the following response to questions I directed to this
company, which makes several flavors of meringues.

Thank you for your interest in our cookies! Here are the answers to your
questions.  I thank you for your time and your interest!  If you have any
questions, do not hesitate to contact Joe Arnold, Senior Food Technologist
for Miss Meringue at   (800) 561-6516.

     1)  Our cookies do not contain gluten with the exception of the Vanilla
flavoring (alcohol based extract).  Our cookies our made in a facility that
may allow airborne contamination of gluten spores to enter into the meringue
mixture.  We have a full service bakery on-site.  We do not flour our pans
or bake the meringue in ovens with any other products, but do have a
bread/pasty kitchen in close proximity to the meringue kitchen.

     2)  The coconut contains residual sulfites of 100 ppm.  CFR 130.9
determines that a "detectable level" of sulfites is 10 ppm and that "foods
with sulfites that are present at a detectable level are misbranded unless
the presence of the sulfating agent or agents is declared on the label of
the food".  Based on our formulation the sulfites contributed by the
shredded coconut are not "detectable" and it is not necessary for us to
declare sulfites on the Miss Meringue Coconut Cookie label.

     3)  On occasion, especially when  the product is exposed to a high
humidity environment, our meringue cookies can develop a chewy center.  This
is not a result of the product being undercooked - all cookies are fully
cooked prior to leaving our facility.  If softening does occur, the solids
content (amount of sugar) in the cookies is sufficient to maintain a water
activity level which minimizes the opportunity of microbial growth.

Gretchen Einsidler
Sales Coordinator
Phone (800) 561-6516
Miss Meringue - A Division of Jacques' Gourmet, Inc.
1709 La Costa Meadows Drive
San Marcos, CA 92069

Enjoy Champagne French Bakeries and Cafes and Miss Meringue Cookies from
your favorite grocer, or visit www.MissMeringue.com today!