From:
Elaine Mathews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 19:07:42 -0500

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to post some numbers regarding the celiac stool test at
www.enterolab.com also www.finerhealth.com

"The prevalence of celiac disease which is a gluten sensitive person who
has a positive blood test called anti-endomysial antibody or anti-tissue
transglutaminase antibody, combined with enough damage to the intestine to
be picked up by a small intestinal biopsy is 1:150.

However, the prevalence of gluten sensitivity (defined as a positive
antibody to gliadin is 10% by blood tests and about 40 and maybe even 50%
by the more sensitive stool test.

A minimum of 60% of people in this country have the immune system genes to
be gluten sensitive.  It may be higher.

Most people will not have enough damage to the intestine to be cel iac
or need a biopsy.  It also seems that many autoimmune patients do not
have full blown intestinal damage but are still gluten sensitive."  I am
not a doctor but wanted to pass on information from enterolab.

I was able to help diagnose a little girl named Amanda with celiac who has
dermatomyositis, osteopenia, and was using a walker because her muscles
were so weak over the internet, because I too have celiac disease and
dermatomyositis.  She was tested through enterolab and she and her two
sisters are also celiac.  Amanda is on the gluten-free diet now for 3 three
weeks and her grandmother told me that her blood tests are just
astounding.  They are tapering her off of her meds.

I have been on the gluten free diet for about six years but then started to
develop muscle weakness.  Because of some of the world's greatest doctors
it was determined I have dermatomyositis (DM)(an autoimmune disease which
antibodies attack the muscles.)  You can find out about myositis @
www.myositis.org.  If anyone has a myositis and CD I would appreciate
hearing from you. We could use your posting on the myositis bulletin board.

I just want to warn celiacs who experience muscle weakness it might not be
from lack of vitamins and malabsorption.  You should seek out a good
rheumatologist who has experience with myositis.  This is diagnosed with a
muscle biopsy, EMG and CK blood test.

I also think it would help the celiacs if they could contact the
www.aarda.org and explain the problems that celiacs are having with
having this autoimmune problem and "multiple" autoimmune problems.
Johns Hopkins stated in an article under www.aarda.org th at these
should be tracked.  You just can't imagine the statistics for autoimmune
diseases in women and the mortality rates. It seems like the AARDA has a
voice because they have gotten legislation passed to open up an office
for autoimmune disease at the NIH.  I think that if the AARDA hears from
enough of us that they will try to help us.

The Intestinal Health Institute (non profit organization) has a toll free
number 1-866-468-6444.  Their mission is to improve intestinal and overall
health and nutrition through medical research and public service.

This is just for information purposes only and thank you for reading this.

Please e-mail me w/any questions.

Elaine