VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"ddunfee.." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ddunfee..
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 15:18:01 -0500
several people have asked for the excel shortcut keys also that an upi
service provided, here it is:

    Shortcuts are wonderful little features embedded in programs to execute
  routine tasks with a minimum of keystrokes. The original intent within
the
  Windows environment was to provide a means of moving around and
performing
  various functions without the use of a mouse.
    As we were discussing Microsoft Excel with some colleagues recently, we
  discovered that the goodie-jar of shortcuts had not been revealed to
them.
    Gee, these folks are well read and use Excel frequently. Maybe others
  don't know about the handy tricks that shortcuts can offer.
    With that in mind, we scoured the help file and discovered that
indexing
  on the word "shortcut" did not reveal dinky. We tried several other
searches
  and discovered that the shortcuts were indexed as part of the "Entering
  data" topic.
    Well, here they are
    To                    Press
    Complete a cell entry: ENTER
    Cancel a cell entry: ESC
    Repeat the last action: F4 or CTRL+Y
    Start a new line in the same cell: ALT+ENTER
    Delete character left of cursor : BACKSPACE
    Delete character right of cursor: DELETE
    Delete text to the end of the line: CTRL+DELETE
    Move one character up, down, left, or right Arrow keys
    Move to the beginning of the line: HOME
    Create names from row and column labels: CTRL+SHIFT+F3
    Fill down: CTRL+D
    Fill to the right: CTRL+R
    Fill the selected cell range with the current entry: CTRL+ENTER
    Complete a cell entry and move down in the selection: ENTER
    Complete a cell entry and move up in the selection: SHIFT+ENTER
    Complete a cell entry and move to the right in the selection: TAB
    Complete a cell entry and move to the left in the selection: SHIFT+TAB
    Work in cells or the formula bar by using shortcut keys
    Start a formula: = (EQUAL SIGN)
    Cancel an entry in the cell or formula bar: ESC
    Edit the active cell: F2
    Edit the active cell and then clear it, or delete the preceding
character
  in the active cell as you edit the cell contents: BACKSPACE
    Paste a name into a formula: F3
    Define a name: CTRL+F3
    Calculate all sheets in all open workbooks: F9
    Calculate the active worksheet: SHIFT+F9
    Insert the AutoSum formula: ALT+= (EQUAL SIGN)
    Enter the date: CTRL+; (SEMICOLON)
    Enter the time: CTRL+SHIFT+: (COLON)
    Insert a hyperlink: CTRL+K
    Complete a cell entry: ENTER
    Copy the value from the cell above the active cell into the cell or the
  formula bar: CTRL+SHIFT+" (QUOTATION MARK)
    Alternate between displaying cell values and displaying cell formulas:
  CTRL+` (SINGLE LEFT QUOTATION MARK)
    Copy a formula from the cell above the active cell into the cell or the
  formula bar: CTRL+' (APOSTROPHE)
    Enter a formula as an array formula: CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER
    Display the Formula Palette after you type a valid function name in a
  formula: CTRL+A
    Insert the argument names and parentheses for a function, after you
type a
  valid function name in a formula: CTRL+SHIFT+A
    Display the AutoComplete list: ALT+DOWN ARROW
    You'll need to play with these tools to see the real power of
them. Some
  of the shortcuts would only be used by very expert users, but we found
quite
  a few keepers for day-to-day use.

"Nothing needs so reforming as other people's habits." -- Mark Twain