From:
Chuck Finnigan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2001 08:57:34 -0700
Subject: [PCBUILD] Windows Protection Error

>     I've recently connected two PCs, both running Win 95 OSR 2.1, via a
> pair of  3COM NICs model 3C905C-TX and a crossover cable.
>     Everything works great except when I shutdown either machine. It
> seems to go through the shutdown procedure normally, but then issues the
> message "Windows Protection Error.  You need to restart your computer."
> This occurs with or without any network components, protocols, or
> clients installed, so my guess is that the 3COM ethernet driver or
> associated software is still trying to do something after Windows has
> shut down.  Has anyone else seen this?  Any other ideas as to what my be
> causing it?
>
> Bob Castorf

here's my WPE i got yesterday:
______________________
While initializing Devise IOS:
Windows Protection Error
You need to restart your computer
___________________________

which of course starts an endless loop of these messages, including when i
try to choose Safe Mode.

Soyo MB
AMD 500 K2
32MB RAM
generic NIC (CNET)

i had just reformatted the hard drive and was reinstalling W95C. the
computer was rebooting to complete the installation.

i tried installing W95SE and it seems to be working okay, but this computer
had been very quirky running W98SE in the first place which is why i'd
reformatted it and started again with W95C.
Chuck Finnigan