NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 10:38:23 -0800
On Thu, 30 Dec 1999 10:49:32 -0500 Tanya Bumgardner
<[log in to unmask]> writes:

> Family is in town and wants to eat out a lot.  I have found salads  to
be a
> safe meal.

Be careful if the salad has crouton on it also.  Many have milk or cheese
in the seasonings.  As for dressings, just ask for straight oil and
vinegar.  Add some salt and pepper.

> Also, have any of you found waiters to be very uninformed about food
> preparation?  Many that I have had don't know and don't care.

We've found that higher quality restaurants have better service and are
more willing to specialize something for you.  We were recently in
Monterey and went to a white table cloth restaurant with our 3 year old.
We ordered her the children's pasta dish without sauce - and specifically
said no butter that she was milk allergic.  It came just plain and no
problems.  We double checked the bread (sourdough) and she ate some
olives and veggies from my salad.

I also had a good experience at another pricey restaurant lately.  I was
out with a bunch of moms and one had severe allergies as well as her
nursing infant (dairy. soy, nuts, eggs, seafood).  By chance the owner
was there that night and came over the table to try to figure out what
would be safe for her to eat.  He even went to the kitchen to check on
the ingredients of won ton wrapper that were purchased.  When we were
finished, he came back to check and make sure she did not have any
reactions.  Unfortunately, most of the allergies are in the baby and it
would take a while to know.

I've gotten into the habit of asking for things without certain
ingredients even if it is not in the description on the menu (cheese,
mayo, butter, etc).  Then, double check when it arrives.  The other day
my French Toast came sprinkled with nuts!  I've also had trouble at
places like Taco Bell putting cheese on things that I've requested no
cheese.

Kathy P.