VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Mikochik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Mikochik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 07:28:46 -0400
hi

be sure you have the drivers for the
cd
sound card
video card
modem
and printer before you start.

windows 98 may support many of these things right out of the box but
sometimes it does not have the correct drivers.

also if your computer hardware is a bit old it may not be able to boot
from a cd so you will need the drivers to power up your cd drive so you
can read the win98 disk.  your original win98 package may come with a
diskette with some general cd drivers already in it.  this works fine.

when i do a reinstall, i always do an fdisk of the hard drive before i
re-format it.  make sure you have the fdisk software that goes with your
version of win98.

i would also recommend that you review your current cmos settings to make
sure win98 gets all the settings correct.
also, make sure the virus detection on the main board is turned off during
install.

i have done hundreds of operating system installs and the most importint
thing is to make sure you have all the background work done before you
start.

if you do it right your computer will run better than you have ever
believed possible.
pete