VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 28 Jul 2002 23:39:06 -0400
our local guru has an explanation, which I must paraphrase as his news
letter is full of copyrights stuff, and I am a crook to pass any of it
along, but it does amplify the fact that problems are result of war wit
Microsoft upon Sun's Java.

  Microsoft is trying to take over the field of Java with it's own. So both
now screw up on similar systems, exhibiting different symptoms on
each.  For example:

My Eudora now manifests continual energizing of my browser, by some
spam.  I use opera and have it set to ask before accepting  cookies.  My
only out has to let opera dial them, and keep saying no to cookies long
enough too then stop Opera, alt-F4.
And then to delete the spammer message before it acts again!  All NOT easy
for the screen reading person.

Perhaps the only way out is to read the message line only, having all
automatic message openers off. Also a slower method.
Will