VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 20:43:21 -0600
PR Newswire

December 18, 2001

Bank One Installs 25 Machines In First Talking ATM Network In Louisiana

Bank One announced today that it has installed 25 "talking" ATMs in
Louisiana, creating the first ATM network in the state to help visually
impaired customers conduct their banking transactions.

With the Louisiana ATMs, Bank One now has more than 100 talking ATMs
nationwide.

Supporters of expanding access for customers applauded Bank One's
installation of talking ATMs.

"We commend Bank One for being the first bank in Louisiana to install an
ATM network that is compatible for blind people," said Pamela Allen,
president of the National Federation of the Blind of Louisiana.

"These ATMs will open up the world of automated personal finance for us
and allow us a greater sense of independence by allowing us to manage
our money ourselves. Our goal is to expand everyday services to blind
people, and we commend Bank One's efforts to reach its blind customers
with this installation."

"This effort reflects our focus on delivering service, convenience and
choice to all of our customers," said Mike Ballases, president of Bank
One in Louisiana.

Customers use a standard set of earphones to hear voice prompts that
take them step-by-step through an ATM transaction. The earphones can be
obtained from the Bank One banking center locations that feature the new
technology. Bank One employees will help users get acquainted with the
modified ATMs, and audio users will hear a brief "orientation" at the
ATM.

The new ATM capability allows Steven Henry, a blind clerk typist with
the U.S. Postal Service in New Orleans and a Bank One customer, to
conduct his banking business himself.

"Being able to use a talking ATM means I don't have to depend on someone
else anymore to help me with my banking transactions," Henry said. "I've
been able to use ATMs with Braille, but if I made a mistake, I had no
way of knowing it. Using the headset gives me a voice confirmation that
wasn't available to me before.

"Also, it's nice that Bank One has made this service available at 25
locations statewide, not just one."

More information about Bank One's talking ATM program, including the
locations of Bank One's talking ATMs nationwide, is available by calling
1-877-241-8665.

Bank One Corporation (NYSE: ONE) operates 200 banking centers and
approximately 400 ATMs in Louisiana. Headquartered in Chicago, Bank One
is the nation's sixth-largest bank holding company, with assets of more
than $270 billion. It offers a full range of financial services to
commercial and business customers and consumers. Bank One can be found
on the Internet at  <outbind://23/www.bankone.com>
www.bankone.com .

BANK ONE TALKING ATM LOCATIONS IN LOUISIANA

Baton Rouge: New Orleans (cont.):

3428 Drusilla Lane 729 Harrison Ave.

1312 O'Neal Lane 6900 Martin Drive

3759 Perkins Rd. 5700 Read Blvd.

6170 Jones Creek 1530 Robert E. Lee Blvd.

3554 S. Sherwood 615 S. Carrollton Ave.

250 W. State St. 601 Poydras St.

4400 General DeGaulle Drive

Carencro: 5001 Prytania St.

4506 N. University Ave. 285 LaSalle

31 McAlister

Chalmette:

910 W. Judge Perez Drive Ruston:

400 N. Trenton St.

Chauvin:

5444 Highway 56 Slidell:

1431 Gause Blvd.

New Orleans:

1340 Poydras St. Zachary:

1440 Canal St. 4431 Highway 19

3201 S. Carrollton Ave.

SOURCE Bank One Corporation

CONTACT: Chris Spencer of Bank One, +1-225-332-7349, or pager,
+1-800-470-4191