VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
William Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Aug 2001 12:12:34 -0600
On 2001-08-04 [log in to unmask] said:
   >I don't know of any cell phones that are completely accessable.  By
   >that I mean a phone that a blind person can use all of the features
   >without assistance.  However, if the only thing that you want to do
   >is make phone calls, almost any phone is ok.

Indeed, all I really require from my cell phone is the ability to
make a few out going calls a month.  I currently am using an
Ericsson model I got with my AT&T Wireless account, and paying
slightly more than $21.00 per month for the service.

Ok, the problem is, even though I definitely enjoy the minimal
size of the phone, no larger than a pack of 100 mm cigarettes,
the neuropathy in my fingers has advanced to the point where the
buttons are extremely difficult for me to feel!  I suspect this
is because of their flat, rectangular design with little space
between them more than the overall size of the unit, but having
never having seen any other phones other than my original
Motorolo flip phone, (Quite usable but much larger!) I don't know
if a more tactile phone is currently available.

Anybody else have this problem, and if so, find any resolution?
Also, seeing as I only make a few calls a month, any suggestions
for a service where I can beat my $21.00 per month cost, perhaps
by paying in advance?

Thanks much for any help...
                                        Willie

Net-Tamer V 1.12.0 - Registered